International Favourites Week!
Europe, excluding the U.K. (Because Brexit!)
With Ireland in the mix here, the list is sort of a hodgepodge, but there’s no doubt that Europe was getting its electronica on in the ‘90s, laying the groundwork for the EDM wave to come. Even U2 felt the influence, incorporating dance beats into its repertoire on the career high point “Achtung Baby.” The freshest sounds came from France, and none fresher than Air’s cool, spacy, sexy debut.
10. First Band on the Moon – Cardigans (Sweden)
9. A New Stereophonic Sound – Hooverphonic (Belgium)
8. You, My Baby & I – Alex Gopher (France)
7. Dreamland – Black Box (Italy)
6. Sacrebleu – Dimitri From Paris (France)
5. What Makes It Go? – Komeda (Sweden)
4. Homework – Daft Punk (France)
3. Loveless – My Bloody Valentine (Ireland)
2. Achtung Baby – U2 (Ireland)
1. Moon Safari – Air (France)
Top track: Kelly Watch the Stars
As I mentioned yesterday, “Moon Safari” is right up there with Belle and Sebastian’s “If You’re Feeling Sinister” atop my list of all-time favourite albums. “Sinister” boasts the more substantial lyrics, but sometimes the groove is all that matters and Air wins hands down on those occasions.